EnergyPlus simulation software
EnergyPlus is a whole building energy simulation program that engineers, architects, and researchers use to model energy and water use in buildings. Modeling the performance of a building with EnergyPlus enables building professionals to optimize the building design to use less energy and water. Each version of EnergyPlus is tested extensively before release.
EnergyPlus models heating, cooling, lighting, ventilation, other energy flows, and water use. EnergyPlus includes many innovative simulation capabilities: time-steps less than an hour, modular systems and plant integrated with heat balance-based zone simulation, multizone air flow, thermal comfort, water use, natural ventilation, and photovoltaic systems.
Basic functionalities of EnergyPlus are summarized below:
- Integrated, simultaneous solution where the building response and the primary and secondary systems are tightly coupled (iteration performed when necessary).
- Sub-hourly, user-definable time steps for the interaction between the thermal zones and the environment; variable time steps for interactions between the thermal zones and the HVAC systems (automatically varied to ensure solution stability).
- ASCII text based weather, input, and output files that include hourly or sub-hourly environmental conditions, and standard and user definable reports, respectively.
- Heat balance based solution technique for building thermal loads that allows for simultaneous calculation of radiant and convective effects at both in the interior and exterior surface during each time step.
- Transient heat conduction through building elements such as walls, roofs, floors, etc. using conduction transfer functions.
- Improved ground heat transfer modeling through links to three-dimensional finite difference ground models and simplified analytical techniques.
- Combined heat and mass transfer model that accounts for moisture adsorption/desorption either as a layer-by-layer integration into the conduction transfer functions or as an effective moisture penetration depth model (EMPD).
- Thermal comfort models based on activity, inside dry bulb, humidity, etc.
- Anisotropic sky model for improved calculation of diffuse solar on tilted surfaces.
- Advanced fenestration calculations including controllable window blinds, electrochromic glazings, layer-by-layer heat balances that allow proper assignment of solar energy absorbed by window panes, and a performance library for numerous commercially available windows.
- Daylighting controls including interior illuminance calculations, glare simulation and control, luminaire controls, and the effect of reduced artificial lighting on heating and cooling.
- Atmospheric pollution calculations that predict CO2, SOx, NOx, CO, particulate matter, and hydrocarbon production for both on site and remote energy conversion.
Compatibility: Windows / Macintosh / Linux
Freeware: YESMore info & download: http://www.energyplus.gov